Instructions in Accomplishing CBMS Form 4 - Barangay Profile Questionnaire
The Barangay Profile Questionnaire (CBMS Form 4) is designed to gather data on the characteristics of barangays such as the types of facilities and establishments present in the barangay. The CBMS Form 4 was administered through Computer-Assisted Web Interview (CAWI) and distributed to Punong Barangays prior to CBMS enumeration period. An orientation to the Punong Barangays and/or target respondent Barangay Officials was organized to orient them on how to accomplish CBMS Form 4 using the CAWI system.
During the enumeration period, the Team Supervisor (TS) will be responsible in administering the CBMS Form 4 in each barangay assigned to him/her. The TS, therefore, should more or less be acquainted with the facilities and establishments in the barangays assigned to him/her. Should there be more than three barangays assigned to a TS, he or she may assign an EN to undertake data collection/verification for CBMS Form 4 in one of these barangays. This chapter discusses the enumeration procedures, contents and instructions in accomplishing the CBMS Form 4.
A. Phases of Data Collection in CBMS Form 4
Orientation on the CBMS Form 4 for the Barangay LGU Officials. An online/onsite briefing was undertaken by the PSA Field Offices, i.e., the PSO and CBMS Focal Persons (FPs) in the pilot areas, to orient the punong barangay, secretaries and other barangay officials/staff on how to fill out the CBMS Form 4.
Distribution of CBMS Form 4. The CBMS Form 4 was distributed to the barangay LGUs. Printed questionnaires and access codes to the Computer-Assisted Web Interview (CAWI) application was given to them after the orientation. CAWI technique will be used to administer information from the respondent. However, Self-administered questionnaires (SAQ) can also be used to fill up the questionnaires. Contact information of the PSO staff/CBMS FPs will be made available to the barangay LGU officials in case they have queries on how to accomplish the printed or CAWI format of the CBMS Form 4 or if they will be submitting the scanned copy of the accomplished CBMS Form 4. Two weeks will be allocated for barangay LGU officials to provide information in the CBMS Form 4.
Gathering of CBMS Form 4 submissions. CBMS Form 4 responses submitted through the CAWI application site will be monitored. Follow up in the responses of barangay LGU officials will be done within three (3) days from the set deadline of submission. Within two (2) weeks after deadline of submission, the mayor (copy furnished the city/municipal statistician or CBMS LGU FP) will be informed about the status of submission of CBMS Form 4 among barangay LGUs in their jurisdiction.
Personal interview with barangay LGU. Should there be any inconsistencies found, missing information or nonresponse from the barangay LGU, the barangay chairperson or any official will be interviewed personally by the PSA personnel, head CBMS Area Supervisor (CAS), CAS or TS using the CAPI (Computer-Assisted Personal Interview) or PAPI (Paper-and-Pencil Interview) CBMS Form 4. CBMS Form 8 (Appointment Slip to the Household Head/ Barangay) will also be used to set the schedule of personal interview with the barangay LGU officials. Personal interview among barangay LGU officials should be done during the week of the CBMS data collection among the households in the barangay.
In some cases, other mode of data collection such as telephone interview may also be employed.
B. Contents of the CBMS Form 4 – Barangay Profile Questionnaire
The Barangay Profile Questionnaire (BPQ) is composed of two (2) parts, The Part I of the CBMS Form 4 collects information on the physical characteristics of the barangay and its service institutions and infrastructure. Meanwhile, Part II of the CBMS Form 4 records administrative data on the general information about the barangay LGU and other information such as government projects and disaster preparedness, among others.
The BPQ in Computer-Assisted Web Interview (CAWI) format is composed of four (4) sections. The Section 1 of the CAWI format contains the following:
- Title Panel
- Letter from the National Statistician
- Geographic Identification
- Name of the Punong Barangay
- Other Details of the Barangay
- Address of the Barangay Hall
- E-mail Address
- Contact Information
- Part I-A of the CBMS Form 4 contains questions on the physical characteristics of the barangay.
The Part I-B of the CBMS Form 4 begins from Section 1 up to Section 3. The Part I-B requests information on service institutions and infrastructure. These service institutions and infrastructure are as follows:
- Health Facility
- Education Facility
- Service Facility
- Agricultural Facility
- Input Dealer
- Water Facility
- Sources of Electricity
- Credit Institutions
- Tourism Sites and Destinations
- Transport Facility
- Garbage and Waste Disposal Facility and Practices
- Modes of Transportation The Section 3 also contains the Part I-C, Part I-D, and Part I-E.
Part I-C of the CBMS Form 4 contains questions on the information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and resources in the Barangay.
Part I-D of the CBMS Form 4 has questions on the significant events in the barangay for the past 3 years.
Part I-E of the CBMS Form 4 covers disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) questions.
Lastly, the Section 3 and 4 contains the Part II of the CBMS Form 4. Part II of the CBMS Form 4 collects information on the following:
- General Information About the Barangay LGU
- Number of Establishments
- Volunteerism in the Barangay
- Road Networks
- Crime (section 4)
- Budget, Revenue, Expenditure
- Programs, Projects, And Activities (based on the Barangay's Annual Investment Program during the Past Year)
C. General Instructions on How to Fill Out CBMS Form 4
To effectively collect the information needed for the CBMS Form 4, you must understand the question and what information the question is attempting to collect. You must also know how to correctly record the answers that the respondent gives and follow instructions in the questionnaire.
Title Panel and Introduction
This panel is found at the uppermost part of the CBMS Form 4. This panel contains the following:
- Form Title (2022 Community Based Monitoring System)
- Country (Republic of the Philippines)
- Implementing Agency (PSA)
- Form Number
- PSA Approval Number
- Expiry Date of PSA Approval Number
- Letter from the PSA National Statistician
Read the letter from the PSA National Statistician. The letter discusses the key significant messages to the respondent such as the objectives of CBMS, the importance of participating in this data collection, and the strict confidentiality being practiced by PSA in every data collection activity.
Geographic Identification Panel
Enter the name of the region, province, city/municipality, and barangay on the fields provided and their corresponding geographic codes inside the boxes.
Geopoints of the Barangay Hall
Tick “Get Geopoint here” button in order to record the geolocation of the barangay hall. In the absence of a Barangay Hall, get the geolocation where the Punong Barangay holds his/her office. In the absence of internet connection in the barangay, get the geopoints (Latitude and Longitude) of the Barangay Hall and input the geopoints manually in the CAWI.
To assist in the getting the geopoints of the Barangay Hall, you may use Google Maps in another page of your browser or using your phone’s browser https://maps.google.com. Simply pin the location of the barangay hall and right click on the pin to view the geopoints (latitude and longitude) of the barangay.
Name of the Barangay Chairperson (Punong Barangay)
Enter the name of the Barangay Chairperson on the lines provided. Enter the last name, first name, suffix, and middle name in the fields provided.
Address of the Barangay Hall
Record the specific location of the Barangay Hall, which should include the floor number (if applicable), building number/name, if any, block/lot number, street name, zone, and/or village/sitio/purok name. It is not needed to include the name of the barangay, municipal/city name, province, and region in the line for Address of the Barangay Hall. In the absence of a Barangay Hall, write the address where the Punong Barangay holds his/her office
Some barangay halls have annexes. In such case, please record the main office. But you are also requested to provide the barangay hall annex address under “n. Others, specify” on Section III (Service Facility) of Part I- B.
Enter the official email address/es of the Barangay. Tick the portion “Telephone number” and “Mobile number” of the Barangay if there is then enter the information on the fields provided. Add more entry by pressing enter. If the barangay does not have official email addresses and contact information, personal contact information of the punong barangay and/or staff may be provided as long as they gave his/her permission and remarks in the notes section.
The BPQ is divided into 2 parts, namely:
Part I – Barangay Characteristics and Community Facilities
- A. Physical Characteristics of The Barangay
- B. Service Institutions and Infrastructure
- C. Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- D. Significant Events in the Barangay for the Past 3 Years
- E. Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
Part II - Barangay LGU and Record-Based Data
- A. General Information about the Barangay LGU
- B. Volunteerism in the Barangay
- C. Road Networks
- D. Crime
- E. Disaster Equipment
- F. Budget, Revenue and Expenditure
- G. Programs, Projects, and Activities
Mode of Data Collection
The codes and description for the mode of data collection are listed as follows:
|1||Computer-Assisted Web Interview (CAWI)|
|2||Computer-Assisted Personal Interview (CAPI)|
|3||Self-administered questionnaire (SAQ)|
|4||Others, specify __________________|
Mark the box provided the code for the mode of data collection. Select one method of interview implemented.
Review of CBMS Form 4
After answering the questionnaire, review and verify the answers to make sure that all entries are correct and complete, and no question is unanswered. You can also verify the questionnaire by clicking on the “Review Answer” button on the lower left part of the questionnaire. A dialogue box with four tabs will appear. Each tab contains the unanswered items per section. Address all items in the list by clicking on the X mark adjacent to each item. Upon clicking, you will be redirected to that specific item inside the questionnaire. Input entry for all the items in the list.
Certification from the Barangay and Posting of Notice of Enumeration
Respondent in the Barangay
Identify who responded to the CBMS Form 4. Select the type of respondent for the CBMS Form 4. There are two options:
- Punong Barangay
- Barangay Personnel
The Punong Barangay shall be requested to sign the certification portion of the CBMS Form 4 only after the barangay LGU personnel fill outs the CBMS Form 4 CAWI system.
When the Punong Barangay signs this portion, this means that your barangay is certifying that the data you provided are true and complete based on your knowledge and records of the barangay. After signing the certification, enter also the date of completion.
Put in the Remarks portion any explanation that could explain/clarify some items or entries in CBMS Form 4.
The team supervisor will visit your office to verify certain responses declared by you/your personnel through the CBMS Form 4 CAWI system. He or she will request you to sign a certification on the changes made on the responses submitted by your barangay as a result of data verification and validation during his/her date of visit. Kindly note that to hasten the data verification phase, the barangay LGU is requested to prepare all reference documents before the scheduled date of visit of the team supervisor.
After the completion of data verification with the barangay, a sticker will be posted on the façade of the barangay hall. This signifies that the TS has visited the barangay hall and conducted data verification.
Note however that subsequent data validation may be conducted as data submitted will undergo rigorous checking by CBMS area supervisors, data processors, Head CBMS area supervisors, PSA CBMS Focal Persons in the Provincial Statistical Office (PSO), Regional Statistical Services Office (RSSO) and the Central Office.
Furthermore, the information supplied in the CBMS Form 4 will also serve as reference for the enumerators who will undertake the geotagging activity during the operations which will run from October to December 2022.
In this regard, the continued cooperation of the barangay LGU officials and personnel are needed even after the team supervisor’s visit.
Certification from Supervisors
As TS/CAS/Head CAS or supervisor from the Central Office (CO), Regional Statistical Services Office (RSSO) or Provincial Statistical Office (PSO) of the PSA, you should sign the certification portion of the CBMS Form 4 only after you have successfully completed the interview, collected accomplished Part II of the CBMS Form 4 and/or reviewed/edited the questionnaire. When you sign this portion, you are certifying that you have personally conducted the interview, obtained all needed information from the barangay LGU, and/or reviewed the questionnaire, following strictly the procedures and instructions stated in this manual.
Type your full name clearly on the space provided and sign over it. Write also the date (mm/dd) when you accomplished/reviewed the questionnaire.
Distributing and Collecting Self-Administered CBMS Form 4
When the information about the CBMS Form 4 could not be obtained through personal interview, provide the Punong barangay and/or barangay officials with CBMS Form 4. Briefly described that CBMS Form 4 contains general information about the barangay. Provide the concepts and definitions, and instructions on how to answer CBMS Form 4. This will be provided to the respondent (Punong barangay and/or barangay officials) if he/she opts not to be personally interviewed.
Follow these procedures in administering SAQ CBMS Form 4:
- a. In CBMS Form 4, write the name of the person who will collect the CBMS forms. In CBMS Form 8 (Appointment Slip to the Household/Barangay Official), Specify the appointment date in the corresponding box. Provide also information on the contact person, email and office address, and contact number of the PSA Provincial Statistical Office.
- b. If the barangay could be contacted but personal interview is not possible, and for barangay in special areas, you need to ask the Punong barangay and/or barangay officials, if they can be interviewed via telephone.
- c. If the barangay could not be contacted, leave enough copies of CBMS Form 4 in the barangay or in the mailbox, in a conspicuous place in the building or with the nearest neighbor.
- d. Make sure that the geo-ID portion of the CBMS Form 4 that you will provide to the barangay is completely filled out.
- e. Fill out CBMS Form 7 or CBMS sticker and write “X” in the box corresponding to “callback". Write also the date of listing before posting this form.f. Write in remarks portion the name and/or designation of the person who will collect the accomplished CBMS Form 4. Write also the date and time when the forms will be collected.
- g. If you will collect the forms, return to the barangay on the agreed date and time to collect the accomplished questionnaires. Review the accomplished CBMS Form 4 for completeness, consistency, and accuracy of entries before leaving the barangay. If any of the form is not properly filled out, verify/return the form to the Punong barangay and/or barangay officials and set another appointment for collection or request for an interview.
- h. Encode by copying the entries in SAQ CBMS Form 4 in the CAPI System.
Dealing with Refusal and Nonresponse in Barangay Profile Questionnaire
It may happen that the Punong barangay and/or barangay officials is at barangay but does not want to be interviewed because he/she is about to leave, busy or not feeling well at the time of your visit. Moreover, a respondent may deliberately refuse to give the required information or just refuse to be interviewed for no valid reason or explanation at all. In cases like these, exert all efforts to persuade the respondent to grant you an interview or to make an appointment.
In persuading the respondent you may need to emphasize that:
- the information that they will provide in the CBMS will be treated with strict confidentiality.
- the CBMS covers all individual persons and barangay in the area.
- the CBMS is a very important undertaking; the information collected is needed by the government as guide in the preparation of plans and programs for the country's development.
- Emphasize the DILG memorandum signifying the conduct of CBMS
D. Instructions in Navigating 2022 CBMS Computer Assisted Web Interview (CAWI) Application
Logging into CAWI
- Go to https://cbms.psa.gov.ph/
- Click PROCEED TO QUESTIONNAIRE
Click Username and enter your username. The username is the Email address used to register a CAWI account.
Click Password and enter your password. One-time password (OTP) will be sent to the mobile phone number registered for the CAWI account.
Online Questionnaire Sections
1 Automatic saving
- This feature is triggered when users toggle between Sections. (See picture below.) The system will autosave all the data entered in the previous section.
- Users can also trigger the save function by pressing CTRL+S.
- Automatic prefilling of saved data
- After the user saves the data, user can access saved data even after logging out/switching to another computer. The system will auto-load all the data from the last data entry session.
- Multiple Login Instances
Users are allowed to login to one/single or same account at the same time on multiple devices/computers. But each user in each device/computer should answer unique Sections
An acceptable scenario or example:
|Users online at the same time||User 1: Juana||User 2: Juan|
|Login credentials||For Brgy. A||For Brgy. A|
|Section being answered||Section 1||Section 2|
- Automatic Skipping of Question
- The CBMS BPQ CAWI system will automatically show the succeeding questions depending on the user’s answer.
- Accessible application anytime
- Users are allowed to access the CBMS BPQ CAWI system anytime as long as they are connected to the internet, and they have the authorized log-in credentials.
- Validating Answers
- Users can also verify the answer by clicking on the “Review Answer” button on the lower left part of the questionnaire.
- A dialogue box with four tabs will appear. Each tab contains the unanswered items per section. Address all items in the list by clicking on the X mark adjacent to each item.
- Upon clicking on the X mark, you will be redirected to that specific item inside the questionnaire.
- Users can use this feature to communicate with the staff-incharge of the CBMS within the PSA, if they have questions or other inquiries.
- The chat icon is located on the lower left of the webpage.
- Provide your name, barangay and city/municipality, so that the staff can address you properly.
- Enter your query/concern/question.
- Forgot Password
Users can use this feature to receive a new password if forgotten.
- Click Forgot Password?
- 2. Enter your email address that is used to register CAWI.
- 3. A new temporary password will be sent to your mobile number